Hi, thank you so much for your for sharing your skill and knowledge through your videos! I just had a questions regarding how to choose an instructor. I finally decided to sign up for belly dancing classes a few weeks ago. Rather than explaining and breaking down each move, my instructor just dances and has the students copy her movements. Do you think it's possible to get really good at dancing through this teaching method or should I locate another instructor? I would appreciate any tips on what I should be looking for from an instructor. Thank you again
So that was the question I received and here is my answer:
Choosing a great dance teacher is like choosing a great pair of shoes :) It has to fit you and your style. If you don't chose a pair of shoes, it does not mean it's not someone else' style or it does not fit someone else or that there is anything wrong with it, it just does not fit you and your needs, lifestyle ... etc
Here are the criteria I would use when choosing any dance teacher:
- Does he or she enjoy dancing?
- Does he or she enjoy teaching?
- Does he or she have good teaching skills?
- Does he or she teach the style I am interested in?
These are he first questions I need all answered YES!
Once I decide that the teacher fits these need, there are other needs that follow and could make a big difference during class and the learning process
- Humble: I love a teacher who is humble and modest. Teachers who are all about showing off their skills and feel the need to prove their worth constantly tun me off. If they are great teachers, I am most likely to learn what I can learn from them very quickly and leave the class
- Caring: a good dance teacher should care not just about whether I am learning correctly and executing the moves correctly but also about me the student as a person. I like always getting to know my students, their life and especially why they are dancing. The why is so important and if the class or me as a teacher is not fulfilling that need, then I need to find how to achieve that
- Progress: I need a teacher who does not teach the same moves over and over no matter what. I strongly believe students should constantly be focused on progress. Where are you going from here? this is a question that every student and teacher should be constantly asking. This is what keeps a class interesting and challenging and makes a difference in your skills